Sonic The Hedgehog with a Dash of Rayman - Meet Bearcat Attack
Ever since the morphing of Cascadia Games into Ferocity2D, an intriguing entry on the indie developer's site has teased an upcoming project titled only as B5. Today the codename was finally revealed as an homage to the heyday of 2D platforming - Bearcat Attack.
Also Read: Developers Talk Apple TV - Cascadia Games Interview
Lamenting the poor translation many of our 2D platforming mascots suffered when attempting the leap to 3D gave rise to an interesting question for the developer - where did they go so wrong? And, perhaps more importantly, what made their original 2D versions so good? Sonic, Rayman, Bubsy, Earthworm Jim - none seemed to survive the 3D makeover the way that Mario did.
Chris Jorgensen of Ferocity2D decided that building a traditional 2D mascot platformer was the only way to answer that question. Check out the Vine embedded below and you'll see obvious Sonic influences, with environments planned that will take inspiration from the lush worlds of Rayman.
Teaming up with artist Mike Heald of Fully Illustrated, even in its very early stages Bearcat Attack certainly looks the part, and with a decent pedigree of 2D platformers already under the developer's belt - the Cavorite series, 2-Bit Cowboy series, and Ammo Pigs - it'll be intriguing to see which side of the '90s this mascot throwback falls.
Also Read: Ammo Pigs Review - Is it Worth Getting Off Your Barstool for?
For the full story check out Ferocity2D's blog reveal right here.
If you are wondering who we are, we're primarily a digital magazine for the iPad focused on the coverage of indie video games. Run by the former editor of Game Informer, you'll find worldwide exclusives, but also an interactive media experience unlike any you have seen before. If you have an iPad, you should check out the free sample issue at the very least, or enjoy one of our other episodes as listed below.
Get Every Episode:
- Episode 1 - Includes The Making of République (*free sample issue*)
- Episode 2 - Includes The Making of Oceanhorn
- Episode 3 - Includes The Making of Monument Valley
- Episode 4 - Includes The Making of Last Inua
- Episode 5 - Includes The Making of World of Tanks Blitz
- Grab It Episodes 2-5 Bundle
- Episode 6 - Includes The Making of Magic the Gathering
- Episode 7 - Includes The Making of Tiny Troopers Alliance and Midnight Star
- Episode 8 - The PAX AUS edition
- Grab It Presents Nihilumbra - Classics Collection
- Grab It Presents Ultimate Indie Game Reviews Vol 1.